*Some links on teakshowermats.com are Amazon affiliate links, and if you use them to make a purchase, we may earn affiliate commissions (at no extra cost to you). Learn more.
When we look at bath mats used in the shower, the most popular materials of choice are either teak or bamboo. However, both these materials are quite different from each other in multiple aspects. Hence, the question of teak vs. bamboo bath mat always arises.
Both floorings tend to be more expensive than similar products made using bamboo; hence many people tend to go for bamboo products because they are relatively cheaper.
However, there is more to things than just the pricing.
There are a lot of differentiating factors between teak vs bamboo shower seat, mats, and floors, and each carries material carries its pros and cons.
We have prepared this guide to help you know the differences between these materials. By the end, you will be able to tell if the higher price is worth it or not.
Bamboo vs. Teak in The Shower
While looking to buy a mat for use in your bathroom the question on whether to go with bamboo shower mats or teak shower mat arises.
Thus to make an informed purchase, a detailed understanding of both these types should be made.
This includes their similarities and differences, how they perform in the shower etc.
We have prepared a detailed breakdown of both and this will get you to get a better picture.
The Pros of a teak wood
- More moisture resistant than bamboo mats.
- It is also very resilient, making it one of the strongest woods.
- A teak bath mat is more durable than bamboo mats and will last a long time.
- It is a relatively more appealing material than bamboo, making it stand out.
The Cons of a teak wood
- It is more on the expensive side.
- It is also more susceptible to staining over time.
- To prevent its natural color from fading, it requires periodic treatment.
The Pros of a bamboo wood
- A bamboo mat is lighter and is more versatile.
- Bamboo is inexpensive when compared with teak mats.
- It does not stain easily.
- It is also more environment-friendly.
The cons of a bamboo wood
- Inside the shower, it is more susceptible to moisture thus become soft and mushy with time.
- It also tends to get mold quicker than teak shower mats.
- Overall it requires more upkeep and maintenance
Which is Better: Bamboo and Teak Comparison
With the above comparison of both the shower mats, the question of which is better teak or bamboo arises.
It can be seen that neither one of them is perfect; however, they carry with them their ups and downs.
When we look at both these materials, teak is a more durable and robust material however it is on the expensive side.
With bamboo, though it might not be as durable, it is highly versatile and more affordable than teak as such the last wins in the durability section while bamboo is a clear winner in the affordability section.
However, since these mats are going to being used in the shower floors, it is bound to come in contact with water at all times.
Therefore, the durability aspect of the shower mat should be taken first into consideration first.
Therefore, considering these things, it is clear that teak products are the better buy. They may be on the pricier end; however, its durability and higher quality justify their price.
Deciding which mat may seem like a daunting and confusing task at first. However, with the detailed comparison given above, it is quite clear as to which is the better one in this teak vs. bamboo bath mat comparison.
Teak wood seems to provide the overall package. However, bamboo shower mats are not far behind.
If you wish to share your thoughts and opinions on which you think is the better, then feel free to share them down below.